The funds covered Hurricane Florence debris removal
PENDER COUNTY -- Pender County is receiving a $3.9 million reimbursement for debris removal associated with Hurricane Florence, according to a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) release.
Per the release, the funds will help pay the costs of contractors hired to remove vegetation and debris from public rights of way -- work that was finished through Nov. 5.
The money will come through FEMA's Public Assistance program, which, according to the release, funds reimbursements for debris removal, emergency protective measures and repairs to damaged infrastructure.
Of the $3.9 million total, FEMA is responsible for 75 percent, or $2.9 million, while the state is responsible for the remaining 25 percent.
Funds from the same program were used in February to provide $9.5 million in reimbursements to New Hanover County for debris removal.
Those funds covered the removal of more than 1 million cubic yards of vegetation and other debris, which was chipped into mulch and disposed of at the New Hanover County Landfill.
Reporter Adam Wagner can be reached at 910-343-2389 or Adam.Wagner@GateHouseMedia.com.