The 12th annual free informational Onslow County Senior Expo is slated for this weekend.
The annual expo will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 25, at the American Legion building, 146 Broadhurst Road.
According to Phyllis Livesay, president of AARP Chapter No. 795, the event is useful for seniors who often feel lost and don’t know who to turn to for services.
“It's well worth for the seniors,” Livesay said.
Among the new vendors this year will be the Council on Aging and the food bank, according to Livesay.
Here are five more things to know about the Senior Expo:
1. The event is sponsored by AARP Chapter No. 795, Onslow County Senior Services and Jacksonville Recreation and Parks.
2. Seniors will have a chance to receive some free medical care, including: shots for flu, shingles and pneumonia and checks of their blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes.
3. There will be vendors with information about neurology, Medicare, eye care, dental care, insurance, banking, funerals, exercise, chiropractic care, hearing care, scams, massage therapy, nutrition, drugs, crafts, elder abuse and more.
4. The Fayetteville Veterans Affairs branch will be present to answer questions for local veterans.
5. There will be a raffle for donated gifts from the vendors.
Reporter Maxim Tamarov can be reached at 910-219-8439 or email@example.com