The Russians had nothing to do with who I voted for — unless of course they had some kind of subliminal message implanted in that Facebook video of a cat in a basket of baby ducks. That video is awesome.
You want to know a few things that may directly affect your life (or well-being) more than the Russians?
• Antibiotic resistant strains. It is suggested within five years the general scope of antibiotics will no longer work. Scared yet? You should be. Want a quick suggestion? Fill your medicine cabinet with the following: honey, apple cider vinegar, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, coconut oil, Epsom salt. Look them up, you will be amazed at what these simple items can do for you.
• Too many rules and regulations. One of the items in President Trump’s speech the other night that was clear and simple was “For every new regulation passed, two will be removed.” Sounds like a bad idea? Nope. We live in a society almost suffocated by regulations, many passed years and years ago and were never updated or changed. It is very easy to make a law (or regulation) it is almost impossible to dispose of it.
• Misinformation. The current legislation being proposed regarding Constitutional Carry of handguns has a lot of incorrect information circulating. First, North Carolina already allows open carry by any law abiding individual. The only thing this document would do would be to allow those already allowed to carry open (in plain sight), to conceal the same firearm on their person. This does not make a person a criminal or suddenly fill their heads with criminal intent. What it does is alleviates the unease of the public who may not be accustomed to the sight of a firearm on someone other than law enforcement.
• Private property. So you think just because you own your land, pay taxes on your land, keep it looking nice (in some cases) that this gives you the right to do anything you want with it? Nope. Restrictions, restrictions and more restrictions. Want to know something that needs to be tossed out with the “old regulations”? How about we get rid of ETJ’s. Don’t know what that is? Extra Territorial Jurisdiction — simple translation is land that borders an established city or town but not part of that entity, but kept under its control in regards only to zoning. This was created when “Forced Annexation” was legal, allowing a town or city to expand; but a few years ago that was considered unlawful. ETJ properties may be up to a mile away from the town or city lines; and in several cases, the ETJ area is several times the size of the actual town or city. People who own ETJ property don’t pay taxes to the city or town, they don’t receive services (police, fire, water), they don’t get a vote in the elections — but their private property is governed by the nearby town/city nonetheless. That’s called government without representation. Time for it to go.
• And the most important thing of all: Q-Tips and other cotton swabs. Yes, these little balls of white fluff on a stick were made to clean your ears, regardless of what is printed on the package. Lie all you want, marketing people, you can’t deny it or avoid it with a disclaimer. Where else would you put one of those things? Your nose? You would sneeze for a week!
Remember knowledge is power and always think before you speak (or text, or tweet or Facebook) because thanks to the internet, your printed comments will be there forever.
Dorothy Royal is the owner of Surf City Guns and Ammo, mother of two wonderful children, ringmaster of a herd of miniature ponies and an avid member of the Surf City Writers Group and Topsail Book Club.