The N.C. Republican Party says U.S. Rep. Mike McIntyre violated campaign finance reporting laws by failing to file reports on time and not disclosing individual donor contributions, according to a complaint letter.
In a letter sent Friday, the NCGOP said McIntyre did not itemize contributions to the “McIntyre 2012 Victory Fund,” required under campaign finance laws. The fund was a partnership with the N.C. Democratic Party. The NCGOP says the victory fund can’t list money from lump sums and didn’t disclose individual donor contributions.
“It is our position we need transparency,” said Mike Rusher, chief of staff for the North Carolina Republican Party. “The voters have the right to know where the money is coming from.”
McIntyre also failed to file a statement of organization within 10 days of filing for office for the 2012-14 election cycle, according to the GOP letter. Under campaign laws, “McIntyre for Congress” was required to file a statement of organization within that time frame.
“Not only did the Committee fail to file a Statement of Candidacy within the prescribed deadline for the 2013-2014 cycle, it has neglected to do so at all for the past 2 election cycles,” Rusher said in the letter. “In fact, the Committee’s most recent amended State of
The Mike McIntyre for Congress Campaign Committee said Monday the Federal Election Commission has not contacted them about issues with the committee’s filings.
“We faithfully work with the FEC to ensure that we are meeting all of our obligations and requirements,” the committee said in a statement Monday. “If the FEC requires any additional information, we will provide it. If the FEC informs us that we need to amend our reports, we will comply.”
As of Monday, the FEC had not processed the complaint.
McIntyre was recently re-elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in a very close race against state Sen. David Rouzer, R-Johnston. During the past two election cycles, Republicans have targeted McIntyre’s seat. Rusher said Friday’s letter is not a political attack in what will likely be another bitterly fought race for the 7th District.
“We have to hold him accountable for his reports,” Rusher said. “Congressman McIntyre has been doing this for a very long time. He knows the rules.”
The 7th Congressional District includes parts of Bladen,
McIntyre has not yet indicated whether or not he will run again in 2014, according to his office earlier this month. If he does run, he will face more than just a GOP challenger. New Hanover County Commissioner Jonathan Barfield has already announced he will challenge McIntyre for the Democratic Party nomination.