The first "Greater Hampstead Business Raffle" to benefit the Pender County Humane Society is now underway.
More than 20 area businesses have donated more than $500 in goods and services to be raffled off at Goin' Postal Hampstead on March 23 to benefit the Pender County Humane Society, a no-kill animal.
Tickets are $3 each or two for $5 and all money goes directly to PCHS.
For information or to purchase tickets, call 910-270-6184 or email email@example.com.
A barbecue fundraiser will be held on March 9 from 11 a.m.until 3 p.m.at the TopsailBaptistChurch, 18885 U.S. Highway17 North, to benefit an area family that lost nearly everything in a fire.
Barbecue plates, with all the trimmings, will be served along with baked good and soft drinks. Tickets will be available at the door, and the cost is $8 per plate. Area bands will perform starting at noon. Proceeds benefit Hampstead residents Bud and Judy Hinnant, whose home was destroyed in a Feb. 1 fire. The Hinnants, who did not have insurance, lost most of their possessions, three dogs and two cats in the devastating fire.
Monetary donations can be made via checks payable to HampsteadUnitedMethodistChurch, with a notation “Hinnant Family,” and mailed to HampsteadUnitedMethodistChurch, 15395 Highway 17 North, Hampstead, NC28443.
For more information, visit BudandJudy.org or email info@BudandJudy.org.
Spring Craft Show
The Hampstead Women’s Club will host a Spring Craft Fair March 23 from 8 a.m.to 1 p.m.at its facility, located at 14435 Hwy 17. All types of crafts, jewelry, baked goods and work by local artisans will be featured. Admission is free.
For more information, contact Jordan, the Hampstead Women’s Club facility manager, at 910-270-9549.
Topsail Beach turns 50
The Town of Topsail Beach hosts its 50th Year Kick-Off Anniversary Celebration on March 19. A dinner will be held that evening at 6. at the Assembly Building to begin the festivities for the 50th Year Celebration of Topsail Beach. Dinner is $5.
Quick-start youth tennis
SurfCityParks& Recreation will offer Quick Start Tennis for ages 4 to 10 from March 22 to May 4. Players will participate in U-11, U-8 and U-6 instructional divisions on youth size courts. The U-6 division will play Friday nights at 5:30while the other groups will play Saturdays beginning at 9 am. The cost is $35 per player and all sessions will last approximately one hour. Basic equipment will be provided as needed
Adults who wish to get involved with the new program are invited to a free USTA clinic on March 2 at Robert Strange Park in Wilmington, 401 S 8th St., from 9:30 a.m. to noon where the Quick Start philosophy will be explained in a practical setting. No previous tennis experience is necessary. This event, arranged by the Greater Wilmington Tennis Association, is open to players, parents, volunteer coaches and other interested parties.
SurfCityParks& Recreation will then hold a “Meet & Greet” for participants and families on March 16 from 9to 11 am. This event is open to players, parents, volunteer coaches and other interested parties.
Registration will continue through March 22. Register for Quick Start Tennis and other Parks & Recreation sports programs at townofsurfcity.com.
Adult softball league
The Surf City Adult Softball League is coming this spring. Practices start on March 11, and games begin April 2. The league should conclude by Memorial Day weekend.
The league plays in a co-ed format (two women must be on the field) and games will be played under modified ASA rules. Fees are $400 per team or $40 for individual players who will be placed on teams. Players must be at least 16 years old.
Primary play nights are Tuesdays and Thursdays; some games may be played on weekends. The eight-game regular season will conclude with a league tournament.
Deadline for signup is March 22 or until the league is full. The league will purchase shirts for teams that need them for an additional $10 per player. Signup online at townofsurfcity.com or through the Community Center office, 201 Community Center Drive. For more information, call 910-328-4887 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration is underway for SurfCityParksand Recreation’s teen basketball league.
The coed age groups for full-court play are Under - 15 for ages 12 to 14 and Under- 18 for ages 15 to 17 (18 year-olds may play if still in high school). Cost is $40 per player or $300 for a complete team of up to 10 players. Fee includes uniform shirt.
Games are held on Saturday afternoons in the Surf City Community Center Gym. The league season is March 23 through May 11.
Register through March 16 or until teams are full online at townofsurfcity.com or at the community center, 201 Community Center Drive off J. H. Batts Road on the mainland.
For information, email email@example.com or call 910-328-4887
Kiwanis golf tournament
The Kiwanis Club of Topsail Island Area is teeing up its 2013 golf tournament.
The tournament will be held on May 4 at North Shore Country Club, on N.C. 210 in Sneads Ferry. Tee time is 8:30 a.m., and the format will be Captain’s Choice.
This year’s tournament is the 27th year of the Topsail Kiwanis classic, which supports club projects that benefit youth in the greater Topsail area.
Tournament business sponsorships are $250. Entry fees are $75 per individual and $300 for each team of four.
For information, contact Rick Benton at 910-604-3835 or Randy Cox at 910-328-6728.
Surf City Parks and Recreation
All classes and events take place at Surf City Community Center, unless otherwise noted, at 201 Community Center Drive (off J.H. Batts Rd. on the mainland). Center hours are Monday to Thursday from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Sundays from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- Adult Tap Dance (Beginner): Tuesday, 9 to 10 a.m.
- Advanced Bridge: Monday, noon to 4 p.m.
- Alcoholics Anonymous: Sunday 10 to 11 a.m.; Wednesday 7:30 to 8:30 p.m.; Thursday noon to 1 p.m.
- Basketball (Open Play for 18 and older): Thursday, 6 to 7:30 p.m.
- Beginning Bridge: Wednesday, 1 to 4 p.m.
- Intro to Belly Dance: Thursday, 6 to 7:15 p.m.
- Lego Club (Ages 5 to 10): Friday, 3 to 4:30 p.m.
- Quilting: Tuesday, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Readers’ Theater (ages 12 to adult): Monday, 7 to 8 p.m.
- Scrabble: Tuesday, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.
- Soccer (Open Play ages 16 and older): Tuesday, 7:30 to 8:45 p.m.
- Special Seniors Group: Tuesday and Thursday, 1:30 to 3 p.m.
- Tae kwon do (beginner): Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
- Cheer Tumbling (ages 9 and up): Monday, 4:30 to 5:15 p.m.
- Tumbling: ages 3 to 5, Monday, 3:30 to 4 p.m.; ages 6 to 8, Monday, 4 to 4:30 p.m.; beginner, Wednesday, 3:30 to 4 p.m.; advanced, Wednesday, 4 to 4:30 p.m.
- Personal Training: flexible schedule. Call 910-548-2964 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pi-Yo: Saturday, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m.
- Power Yoga: Thursday, 7 to 8 p.m.
- Preschool Playtime: Wednesday, 10:30 to 11:15 a.m.
- Strengthening & Conditioning, Thursday, 8:30 to 9:30 a.m.
- Tai Chi: Tuesday, 6 to 7 p.m. and 7 to 8 p.m.; Thursday, 11 a.m. to noon
- Yoga (gentle): Sunday, 10 to 11 a.m.; Monday, 7 to 8 p.m.; Tuesday, 8:30 to 9:30 a.m.; Wednesday, 6:15 to 7:15 p.m.
- Zumba: Tuesday, 6:45 to 7:45 p.m.; Wednesday, 7:15 to 8:15 p.m.
- Cape Fear Community College GED Course: Monday and Thursday 5:50 to 9 p.m. Free. Call 910-362-7349 to register.
For more information, to register or inquire about teaching a new class, call 910-328-4887, email email@example.com or visit townofsurfcity.com.
Cape Fear Community College
Cape Fear Community College is coming to Surf City. The public is invited to learn more about the new Cape Fear Community College campus being built in Surf City at an open house for the public on March 16 at 9:30 a.m. at the Surf City Visitor Center.