More than 20,000 have voted already in Onslow County, but area election officials have a few pieces of advice for those who plan to hit the polls Tuesday.
1. Wear comfy shoes
There will be lines and voters should expect to wait, according to Rose Whitehurst, Onslow County Board of Elections.
2. Know where to go
There will be 24 regular polling sites open from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. across Onslow County, according to the Board of Elections. They are:
• Commons Rec Center: 1130 Commons Dr. N
• Bethel Missionary Bap. Church: 173 Briarneck Rd.
• Calvary Freewill Bap. Church: 1008 Haws Run Rd.
• White Oak Comm. Church: 6181 New Bern Hwy.
• Living Hope Comm. Church: 1310 Hargett St.
• Verona Baptist Church: 3876 Wilmington Hwy.
• Pine Valley UMC: 910 Pine Valley Rd.
• Southwest Fire Station: 2031 Pony Farm Rd.
• Centerview Baptist Church: 1165 Piney Green Rd.
• First Presbyterian Church: 400 N Bayshore Blvd.
• The Potters House Church: 4805 Gum Branch Rd.
• Tar Landing Baptist Church: 3884 Richlands Hwy.
• First Baptist Church: 1985 Gum Branch Rd.
• Folkstone Freewill Bapt. Church: 133 Old Folkstone Rd.
• Holly Ridge Community Center: 404 Sound Rd.
• Back Swamp Fire Station: 2957 Catherine’s Lake Rd.
• Onslow Co. Museum: 301 S. Wilmington St.
Bethany Baptist Church: 1077 Nine Mile Rd.
• Bear Creek Fire Station: 677 Bear Creek Rd.
• Hubert Fire Station: 118 Hubert Blvd.
• Enon Chapel Bap. Church: 2854 Piney Green Rd.
• Swansboro Rotary Center: 1104 Main St. Ext.
• Grants Creek Baptist Church: 1401 Old 30 Rd.
• Sneads Ferry Comm. Center: 126 Park Lane
To check where you should go, visit OnslowCountyNC.gov/elections/.
3. Be sure you’re registered
Nov. 5 was the last day to register to vote for the 2016 general election. To check if you are registered before you head to the polls, visit ncsbe.gov
4. Know what to bring with you.
Based on the way a voter registered, they may have to show some type of identification. A voter record may be flagged as having to show ID, Whitehurst said, while a first time voter will have to show some type of name and address that shows their date of record.
5. Plan ahead
If you want to be certain, check out the Board of Elections website. Sample ballots, including the names of candidates running for election are available at OnslowCountyNC.gov/Elections/.
6. No selfies
If you plan to take a selfie, wait until you’re in the car. Whitehurst previously told The Daily News that selfies are not allowed at the voting station.
7. Not official
Election results will remain unofficial until the canvass on Nov. 18.