1. Before Matthew, the last Category 4 Hurricane (winds of 130-156 mph) to make landfall in Haiti was Cleo in 1964.
2. The last hurricane to make landfall in Haiti was Gustav in 2008. The last major hurricane to make landfall In Haiti was Inez in 1966.
3. Since 1980, only five October hurricanes in the Atlantic have had lower pressure than Matthew: Joan, Opal, Mitch, Wilma and Joaquin.
4. Five major hurricanes have tracked over Haiti since 1950: Hazel in 1954, Flora in 1963, Cleo in 1964, Inez in 1966 and David in 1979. All but one of those, Flora, went on to make a landfall in the United States.
5. Hazel is the only major hurricane to make landfall in North Carolina in October, coming ashore as a Category 4 storm on Oct. 15, 1954.
Source: Phil Klotzbach, Colorado State University Tropical Meteorology Project